Friday, October 26, 2012

Tropical Storm Sandy & Shameless Promotion

Tropical Storm Sandy is coming.

I have a new hobby or job -- I'm not sure which -- doing some social media consulting for a book that has more common sense about food in it than any I've read, Pam Peeke's The Hunger Fix.  Please feel free, everyone, to give me ideas and help in how to promote the book more deeply in the `net scape.

I have to go to the store and get some real food in the house -- God, how I dread walking out of the Bat Cave.  But I thought I'd run this recipe by you.  It has a four-HF rating from the doc herself ("I love the recipe") and it has a zing from the lemon and olives that I wait for with each bite.  It's from Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant, btw.

It will be good to chop on Monday.  Cooking is one of the most satisfying things I can do, you see.  And if there's anything I need, it's a feeling of satisfaction.

If I ever get to give a dinner party again, this will probably be a starter course.

 

Moroccan Stew


1½ cups chopped onions
3 garlic cloves
1/3 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
3 cups cubed potatoes (I often omit because I don’t always have a carb at night)
2 cups chopped green beans (canned or frozen are fine)
3 cups cubed fresh tomatoes (canned will do in a pinch)
3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
2 red bell peppers, chopped
3 13-oz cans artichoke hearts, drained & halved (reserve the brine)
½ cup pitted black olives (use good Greek olives)
pinch of saffron 

¼ cup fresh lemon juice
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
salt & pepper to taste

 
Sauté the onions & garlic in olive oil until translucent.  Add the thyme, green beans, bell peppers, and tomatoes, & cook on medium-high heat for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Ad the vegetable stock & the brine from the artichokes & simmer, covered, until the vegetable are tender, about 20 minutes.

Stir in the halved artichokes, black olives, & a pinch of saffron.  Continue to simmer gently for another 5 – 10 minutes.  Add the lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper.





2 comments:

Unknown said...

A lot of authors get review copies out to bloggers -- BlogHer does paid book promos, though I have never gotten my request in fast enough. Getting lots of people to write and tweet about a book makes a bigger impact. She could also do a Facebook page for the book where readers could go for support, recipes, etc.

Vickie said...

Power? Flooding? How did your neighborhood look this morning?